Sunday, June 12, 2011

Saga of the Green M&M

Several years ago I worked in a cubicle farm.  (You know, one of those places where someone yelled "Doughnuts!"and a bunch of heads pop up over the wall like a game of Whack-A-Mole.)  We were being moved from one area to another so we had to box up our stuff in preparation for the movers.  The cubes weren't very large so you stuffed your stuff wherever you could find an empty spot.  My spot of choice was under my desk.  I had cleared most of the miscellaneous junk out from under my desk and had to crawl under to get the last bits.  So there I am on my hands and knees under the desk when I see IT in the dark recesses of the back corner.  IT was a green M&M.

It was smooth.  It's surface uncracked.  Lying there with the little M&M stamp staring up at me smugly.  How long had it been there?  I love M&Ms so it easily could have been mine.  I'd been in that cube for several years, but it's possible it was there when I moved in.  It has a hard candy shell so you know it's sanitary.  Hmmm...

Now you have to understand what was going on at that point in my weight loss career.  I had just completed my Weight Watchers leader training after reaching my lifetime goal.  So why am I obsessed by this little green critter?  Food obsession to the MAX.  Did I eat it?  I don't think so, but I honestly don't remember, but that started a thought process of why that stopped me dead in my tracks.  I began to analyze the real reason that I wanted it and discovered it wasn't because of the candy, but because of my underlying emotions.  That's when I learned to deal with them by working through them instead of a one pound bag of M&Ms.

Moral of the story:  We all have our own version of the little green M&M.  I have more recent versions, but I know now that I know how to deal with it, I just think back to this and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment